Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The very beginning

Welcome to a blog about Sirocco, a brand new 37ft Bavaria Cruiser.

We ordered her in June 2007 from Germany,using the excellent services of the friendly people at Martin Box Marine in conjunction with NorthSouth Yachting in NSW, and she arrived after her long voyage from Bremerhaven, Germany to Fremantle in late November.

We (Mike my husband and myself) have dreamt about owning a yacht for a couple of years now,I guess the property boom here in Perth, West Australia has helped us to realise this dream: we sold our home last year and downsized as it's just the two of us now,
and purchased Sirocco with what was left....!
I will start by describing the first time I saw her - 5th December, 2007.
We had been in Europe for a month as part of our 30th Anniversary celebrations: at the end of our trip, I returned here to Perth, and Mike to Angola for 6 weeks at work.

Obviously, having not been here when she arrived, I was anxious to get down to Fremantle to see her!
An acquaintance had taken photos of her in big pieces and that's all we had seen thus far.




As luck would have it, it was a horrid windy and very wet day, but I didn't care!
There she was, right in front of me, still wrapped in white plastic on the hard stand.
I was pleased to see that the mast was up and the keel was on, I climbed up the metal stairs
they had put beside her and set foot on her.....then cried!
As I explored I tripped over several people doing 'stuff' so I couldn't stay too long,
I had a photo of me taken sitting at the nav table - everyone says I look misty-eyed, but I'm actually thinking shit, what are all these buttons and switches for?!







Time came to leave, so one more photo, this time of me under her, touching the keel.












Next blog entry will describe the launch and sea-trial.

No comments: