Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Launch and sea trial











Standing and watching breathlessly as they put slings under Sirocco, drive an enormous lifter up to her, and slowly lift her off the supports, I can hardly believe it's happening.

We walk behind the lifter at a snails' pace, full of awe - like a wedding party following a bride to the altar! We walk past a line of 68ft clippers, all in Fremantle for a stopover during their round the world race.

Now we are at the slipway, and Tom opens a bottle of champagne, instructing me to pour some over the bow just before she touches the water, and say a few words. Well, I poured ok but couldn't say anything as tears were rolling down my face! Tom took photos which I haven't got yet, sorry. However, here is one of her in the water:






At last - in her element. We filled up with fuel and set off to the northeast out of the marina.

We raise the main, then un-furl the headsail, switch off the motor and she glides effortlessly and silently through the clear, blue water. She handles like a dream, I don't think I have ever felt quite this blissfully happy - just one thing wrong, Mike isn't here to share my joy. We play around for an hour or so, then slip back into the marina, find a pen and tidy her up a bit, then secure her for the night. What a day - what a yacht - what a blast!

Oh, and by the way - we finished the champagne :)


No comments: