Friday, February 8, 2008

And now word from Mike.

To begin I would like to say a few things from my side on buying Sirocco.

When we were ready to buy the yacht (Name still undecided) we also decided to change our car from our MR2 to something that would happily transport all our sailing needs to the marina, we chose a Toyota Yaris YRS 3 door. Would you believe it took close to 7 hours, 2 visits over 2 days to the same yard and in excess of 12 signatures to secure the car we wanted…So when It came time to actually commit to the purchase of the yacht I was dreading the time it would take to complete this sale after our Yaris adventure !!!
It actually took 20 minutes with 1 guy and 1, yes one signature from Jan & I to secure over a quarter of a million Dollar yacht!!! So I wonder why does it take so much paperwork and you have to meet all those sales people who want to be ‘Life Long Friends’ to buy a car??? If you know the answer to that then please let me know….

The name…Sirocco….It’s a wind that blows out of the Sahara desert over the Mediterranean Sea. (Google search for more details. BTW we spell the name the English way, it can be spelt Scirocco like the VW car of that name, but that is the Arabic spelling) As I have spent a fair percentage of my working life in the deserts of the world, we thought it a very apt name for our yacht. Other names were short listed like ‘Comfortably numb’ and ‘Tora’ but these could be a bit of a mouth full on the radio said 3 times in an emergency, especially the last one !!!

My job takes me overseas and I work with people from all over the word, this comes is handy when it is time to get goodies that a modern yacht needs these days, and into the bargain saving a lot of $$$ ….So far we have got an Air X Marine wind generator and mounting kit from the USA and a Raymarine chart plotter & Raystar 125 GPS antenna from the UK.

Chart plotter…I decided for warranty purposes to get the local Raymarine technician to connect it up to the yacht, (well all the wiring identification is in German!) but I cut the hole for the display and bolted on the rail the fitting for the antenna, this I was told was the hard bit and did in fact save a lot of time.

We had a TV antenna installed before the mast was stepped and have now bought a 52 cm LCD TV with built in DVD. I am in the process of installing it in the saloon but before that is done I have to re-locate the starboard bulkhead reading light further into the corner under the radio speaker, this is an easy job that I will do it next week.

The wind generator is the next project to be fitted. As I said I have the fitting kit all I need is the stainless steel pipe work to hold it up with. As the fitting will involve crawling behind the rear bulkhead in the rear birth, I might just do that in April when things will be cooler and less humid in Perth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last Sunday I took 'Duck' for a sail.

It was new territory for us. 'Duck' and I have been together for years and are fairly familiar with each other and this was the first new adventure for some years.

I was very lucky that when I purchased 'Duck', demand wasn't high and the price was reasonable. Even though 'Duck' was a find, I still appreciate him as if he was worth much more.

Anyway, back to last Sunday. The launch was flawless. I was so proud as 'Duck' effortlessly made it from one side of the bath to the other and then, excelled himself and did a length of the tub.

The sail only ended when an unexpected whirlpool opened up after the plug was pulled.

I really can't wait until this Sunday to be out there on the wide open bath-tub again.