Friday, February 22, 2008

Hollandaise and Cruising in Company

Last night Mike and I attended our first meeting of the cruising in company section of the yacht club and met some really nice people, I was invited onboard Hollandaise, a magnificent 30ft Holland, for a twilight sail on Friday by a lovely couple, Steve and Miriam, who made me feel very welcome and comfortable. I LIKE this twilight sailing thing - it's run by the yacht club and basically anyone can turn up at 6pm and hop on a yacht for a couple of hours of sailing with the setting sun. Steve and Miriam handled Hollandaise with enviable relaxed skill - I am so impressed with their auto-pilot and think Sirocco would love to have one too!
The three of us finished the evening aboard Sirocco, sharing a bottle of wine and chatting away like old friends. That's what I've noticed about yacht club people - they all seem genuinely lovely people who would lend a hand if needed without a second thought and I certainly feel a sense of belonging already.
A big thank you to Steve and Miriam, and to everyone at Thursdays meeting who made us feel so welcome.

No comments: