Saturday, March 22, 2008

doh

Another first for me.
Had a morning sail planned with Pam, Steve and Paul.
From the minute I got down to the marina, I didn't feel right about things - there was a strong gusty SSE crosswind, I knew it would be challenging straight away because it was hard getting on the boat; at that time of day, even with normal windy conditions, it's usually easy. But, I was determined to give it a go, as people had come especially and I felt obligated (and to be honest, I didn't want to appear incompetent).
I started the engine, everything was prepared, and I was about to say 'cast off' but....I realised that I would have to back out pretty fast in order to stop the bow being taken by the wind and smashed into the rocks beside us, and I don't do fast - I am the original sailing-Miss-Daisy kind of skipper.
So, reluctantly, I made the call not to go.....
A more experienced skipper would have probably ignored the cross wind and just done it - but for me, knowing how Sirocco responds, I didn't feel that I would have been comfortable doing so.
For what it's worth, not many people went out either. We did watch one come out and he was caught out - you could see the wind just take the bow - he got out of it ok, but to be fair, he didn't have any rocks around him and had a lot more room to manoeuvre than I do.
Well there you have it. Am I a wimp or am I sensible. I don't know.
All I know is, sitting at home typing this and drinking my coffee, I feel pretty silly and the bloody wind has dropped right off, damn it!

No comments: