Monday, March 31, 2008

Siroccos 1st storm

Yesterday Perth had a months worth of rain in 12 hours, the first significant precipitation in months. You could almost hear the garden breathing a sigh of relief.
Overnight we had very strong winds, thunder and lightening.
As I lay in bed listening to it all, my thoughts obviously turned to Sirocco, and the temptation to leap out of bed and race to the marina so as to check on her well being was very strong.
However.
I rationalised - was she tied up securely?
Yes
Was anything that moves secured?
Yes
Were the fenders in place?
Yes
Did I want to get out of bed?
No
Common sense prevailed! This morning, we have returned to sunny conditions. Sirocco fared just fine, one tip I will pass on though is those smart little hatch covers look fabulous and do a great job keeping the sun out, but in a lot of rain they do compromise the water-tight seal, and, of course, by the order of Murphy's Law, there is a hatch right over the forward berth, the mattress of which is now drying in the sun.
So, Sirocco weathered her first storm. I would like to regale you with tales of derring-do on the high seas with me lashed to the wheel for safety, but the truth is, it wasn't like that.
As for my previous posting, I am happy to report that the lack of confidence has turned into an acceptance that I did, indeed, do the right thing for me at the time, and feeling all down about it is so five minutes ago :)

No comments: