Friday, March 21, 2008

Furler update

All fixed. I am now an expert on how to disassemble and reassemble a furler. Armed with a trusty Allen key, I took the thing apart and sorted out the mess of line inside (caused, I suspect, by not enough tension being kept on the sheet whilst furling in) then set about putting everything back together again. It was going so well until I dropped a small bolt and it went straight into the anchor locker, about six inches deeper than my arms are long.
Now, over the years, at various times, I've been told off for using kitchen implements as tools - tips of knives work really well in place of a screwdriver etc; personally I believe most things have more than one use and I don't see the problem - if you need to unscrew something and you can't be arsed going out into the cold to get a screwdriver out of the toolbox, hell, use a knife! Anyway, I digress. Kitchen tongs to the rescue! Grabbed that little sucker no worries at all.
Luckily Rob Sweet was on hand to help reattach the sail, I really could not have done that alone, so many thanks to Rob and another gentleman who just happened to be passing and lent a hand too (sorry, I can't remember your name but I do appreciate your help).
So now Sirocco can go sailing again tomorrow - and I've learned how to take a furler apart - it's all good :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My procedure for the Furlex is to use the wind to unfurl the genoa, while slowly letting out (tailing) the furling drum line. I do this just enough off the wind so that the wind keeps the sail full, but not overloaded. This way, the furling line is wound tightly and evenly around the drum (because it's always under tension).